Narec Distributed Energy are the principal contractor for a Living Lab in Newcastle upon Tyne. Our client Energy Systems Catapult are delivering the Smart Systems and Heat Programme Phase 2 (SSH2) with 105 homes across the England & Wales on behalf of the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS).
The Living Lab utilises the Home Energy Services Gateway (HESG) and at one stage had 55 homes within Newcastle running the experimental Heat as a Service system. Delivery began in September 2017 and is ongoing.
Outline & objectives
The Smart Systems and Heat Programme Phase 2 (SSH2) aims to create future-proof and economic local heating solutions for the UK. It will connect an understanding of consumer needs and behaviour, with the development and integration of new technologies and with new business models.
Narec Distributed Energy with the support of subcontractors such as Pacifica Home Services, is delivering the following services;
- Surveying Homes (electrical, heating, householder and building appropriateness)
- Due diligence on surveys
- Converting survey data into *json files
- Arranging installation dates
- Pairing HESG systems (including up to 50 components per home)
- Commissioning of systems
- Installation of systems
- Emergency breakdown service helpline
- Emergency breakdown service
- Communications with householders
- De-commissioning of systems
- Technical IT support to the project (for example, repairing of hubs)
The project has created a Living Lab in Newcastle upon Tyne to test "heat as a service".
Further information on the project can be found at the Energy Systems Catapult website.