(Microalgae As a Green source for Nutritional Ingredients for Food/Feed and Ingredients for Cosmetics by cost-Effective New Technologies)
MAGNIFICENT seeks to develop a new value chain for food, aquafeed and cosmetic ingredients based on microalgae. Currently, market opportunities for microalgae-based products are restricted to high-value products, as production costs are currently prohibitive to use it as a feedstock.
There is an existing capacity for large scale production, but both the variety of products and number of market opportunities is currently limited, mainly to dietary supplements and cosmetics. Magnificent will use these facilities to develop the biorefinery concept further, validate the value chains and develop new ingredients.
MAGNIFICENT will seek to expand the range of products and their market volume substantially and sustainably, improving current applications and developing new ones, such as food and aquatic feed. It will do this by developing and validating a new value chain for cultivating and processing microalgae, addressing both upstream and downstream processes.
Environmental and Social Impacts
Narec DE is working on the Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and Social Life Cycle Assessment (S-LCA) of this project. Producing ISO 14040/14044 compliant studies of the whole supply chain for the production of microalgae based products, and comparing these impacts with those of current competitor production methods. The intention of this work is to identify environmental and social impact hotspots, to reduce the impacts of MAGNIFICENT products, and to understand how the products compare with those on the market now. Models are built using the Ecoinvent and Soca databases, using OpenLCA for LCA/S-LCA and also using GaBi for additional LCA work.
- Wageningen University (The Netherlands)
- Stichting Wageningen Research (The Netherlands)
- Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der angewandten Forschung e.V. (Germany)
- Necton – Companhia Portuguesa de Culturas Marinhas SA (Portugal)
- Cmp – Cimentos Maceira E Pataias SA (Portugal)
- Sparos LDA (Portugal)
- Erdyn Consultants (France)
- Alga Development Engineering And Services SL (Spain)
- Madebiotech – C R & D, S.A. Zona Franca da Madeira (Portugal)
- Narec Distributed Energy Ltd (UK)
- Algosource Technologies (France)
- Kemin Industries (Belgium)
- IMEnz Bioengineering BV (Netherlands)
- N-zyme Biotec GmbH (Germany)
- Natac Biotech SL (Spain)
- Total Raffinage Chimie SA (France)
The project is funded by the Bio-Based Industries Joint Undertaking (BBI JU), which is a €3.7 billion Public-Private Partnership between the EU and the Bio-based Industries Consortium. Operating under Horizon 2020, this EU body is driven by the Vision and Strategic Innovation and Research Agenda (SIRA) developed by the industry. MAGNIFICENT has received € 5,330,573 under this funding mechanism.
- The official MAGNIFICENT project website is at: https://magnificent-algae.eu
- Twitter: @MagnificentAlg1
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/company/magnificent-algae
- For more information, email email@example.com