The Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) was set up to support renewable heat generation in the domestic and non-domestic sector. In order for systems to be RHI compliant, installations must be made meter-ready and in many cases applicants will require Heat Metering for payments to the system owner to be made; for instance, where a heat pump has been installed with a non-renewable back-up source of energy (e.g gas or oil), a meter must be used when claiming RHI payments.
In order to ensure that installers of renewable heating systems install the systems in a correct manner, which are meter ready, Narec DE worked with DECC, Ofgem, BEAMA, HETAS, Summit Skills and MCS in order to develop an accredited course for national delivery.
Outline & objectives
The course was developed by experts at Narec DE in order to train all those involved in the selection, positioning or installation of heat meters in accordance with MCS and RHI Metering Guidance. It covers the knowledge and understanding of the requirements for metering renewable heat installations, including how to select, position, install and commission heat meters and components.
The topics covered within the course are;
- Understand the MCS and RHI requirements for metering renewable heat installations, including ‘meter ready’
- Understand how to select heat meter components
- Know where to position meters and their components
- Know how to install heat meters
- Understand how to commission the heat meter installation
- Know how to fault find and maintain heat meters
The final course was certified by Logic Certification Limited, and delivered by Narec DE from 2015 onwards. Other training centres across the UK now also deliver this training course.