Grid connection is one of the greatest challenges for renewable energy projects in the UK. Large areas of the UK distribution network are now saturated, and some Distribution Network Operators are now refusing connection for all commercial renewable energy installations.
Technical Support and Negotiations
Narec Distributed Energy work closely with Distribution Network Operators to ensure that our clients get the best deal possible for grid connection of their renewable energy system. Specialities include connecting solar farms, wind farms and grid scale batteries to the grid.
We negotiate the best option for both the client and the Distribution Network Operator, considering all financial and technical options.
We also consult on new technologies to ease grid connection, including smart grid technologies and energy storage. We can advise on new off-the-shelf technologies, and work with our partners on R&D for new grid technologies.
We can assist in locating the most suitable ICP (Independent Connection Provider) or IDNO (Independent Distribution Network Operator) to carry out the contestable element of your connection or we can offer a ‘turnkey’ service whereby we will arrange to have your connection carried out in full with minimal input from the customer.
Previous and current projects
- Successful application and offer of 4MVA connection in County Durham
- Successful application and offer of 8MVA connection in Northumberland
- Training of over 50 renewable installers in the North East of England on the G59 application process and how to ensure a safe and compliant connection
- Provided technical training to all of the Network Design engineers and their management on renewable electricity generation technologies to one of the UK’s largest DNO organisations
- Act as solar developer client technical expert on grid connections, representing them in strategic discussions with DNOs and providing grid capacity intelligence to assist in their new business development strategies
- Working with Planning Experts to identify suitable sites for PV deployment based on grid capacity intelligence studies
- Identifying locations for 50MW Grid Scale batteries for local authorities
- Negotiation with DNO for a 50MW battery site
- 1MW Battery connected to a wind farm
- Budget enquiries and full grid connection applications for battery systems between 10MW and 200MW